Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hot Water


So I heard from various friends that they recently discovered that I've actually been updating my blog! PTL  ppl are actually reading this! :P I'm not really good at writing really deep, inspiring things but I just wanted to share random tidbits of daily life here in Mongolia.

Our hot water cut out about a week ago, which is not surprising because that usually happens every summer during VSET. We took bucket showers in Lanzhou, China last summer on vset bc the hot water for the shower was broken, but that was still doable because we had buckets, hot water boilers and a scooping thing. However, on VSET in Mongolia we usually have none of the above so taking a shower in the ice-cold water is almost unthinkable. There are other inconveniences to ice-cold water too: for example, its really hard to wash raw chicken goo off your hands hehe. I think every one of these experiences makes me appreciate accessible hot water more though, especially the "instant" kind that just comes out when you turn the handle to the left (in Beijing the fire had to light and then heat the water before it would come out hot).

We have many friends who live in gers and they don't have hot water (unless they boil it). I asked my friend how they shower and she said they have to pay money at a public shower or they go to a relative's who has an apartment. That's pretty crazy but knowing that that's many ppl's life makes me think twice every time I take a hot shower.

Btw, the hot water came back faster than expected-yay! We heard one summer it was out for two months *gulp*. Also, weather update, it snowed/hailed again yesterday! Its almost June and its still sporadically snowing... Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Crazy snow/hail still!? We totally missed snow in Boston this year and now it's summery. :) Glad you got your hot water back!

    ReplyDelete